21

OverviewTranscribeVersions

Facsimile

Transcription

Wpage21

drink of River water, it being
the first running water we have
seen for two Months. Matamoras
from the east side of the River looks
city like. The Stars and Stripes are
flying over fort Brown on the east
and fort Ampudia on the west side
of the river. There is large plantations
on this side of the river of the richest
soil that has been made waste by
the army of Genl Taylor. This evening we
elected Mr. Howard 2nd Lieutenant
of the company.

Sunday August 2nd 1846
Today the Regt commenced crossing
the river we being the next to the
last company to cross we concluded
to swim out horses and cross our
baggage in a skiff. We crossed nearly
all our horses over but the banks became
so boggy that the remainder went by the
ferry. Road through Matamoras and
and went to camp 1 mile from town.

Monday Augt 3rd 1846
Rode into town this morning and
find part of the city well built
it consisting in the centre of the town of
brick buildings and the suburbs of mud
covered with thached roofs. The streets
are narrow and dirty. The Regular
troops have nearly all marched for
Camargo. Genl Taylor will leave with

Page Notes

Please sign in to write a note for this page

San Jac Descendant

When Zenas Matthews and his fellow volunteers arrived at the mouth of the Rio Grande, the battle for control of Brownsville and Matamoras had already been won by General Taylor's forces. Fort Texas had been renamed to Fort Brown in honor of it's commander, Major Jacob Brown who died from injuries received during the battle. Fort Texas was designed by chief engineer Capt. Joseph Mansfield, and was constructed of earthen walls 15 feet wide and 9 to 10 feet high. The earth being taken from the outside perimeter of these walls created a ditch about 8 feet deep and 15 to 20 feet wide that was crossed by a draw bridge. I find it fascinating that the fort was designed with the walls in the shape of a six sided star, with cannon placed on all six points.