p. 36

OverviewVersionsHelp

Facsimile

Transcription

Status: Complete

Wisconsin in 1820

a hundred feet square: that at Sandy Lake had [lastions?] at two of its angles pierced for musketry. "The pickets were of pitch pine thirteen feet above the ground, and a foot square and pinned together with sout plates of the same wood. These were three gates, which are shut whenever liquor was dealth out to the Indians. The stockade enclosed two rows of buildings containing the provision store, work shop, workhouse, rooms for the clerks, and accomodations for the men. On the west and north west angles of the fort were four acres of ground enclosed with pickets devoted to the culture of potatoes." This fort was first erected in 1794 by the N. West Teur Company.- The garrisons at Prairie du Chien and at the mouth of the St. Peters were first established and occupied in 1819-

At this time but little was known of the value of the Lead and Copper mines on the upper Mississippi- Only three places being known besides

Notes and Questions

Nobody has written a note for this page yet

Please sign in to write a note for this page