Describes her journey from Sydney in the ship Corea with calls at Queensland ports, reaching Thursday Island 9 Jan. 1883, arrival at Flinders telegraph station 14 Jan. 1883, and the journey from Normanton to Port Darwin, sailing from Port Darwin for Sydney 22 Aug. 1883 on the steamer Feilung....Start Transcribing
In 1826, the privates Joseph Sudds and Patrick Thompson deliberately committed theft in the expectation that they would be transported, a fate they believed to be preferable to continued service in the army. Lieutenant Governor Ralph Darling, Governor of N.S.W., commuted their sentence to a...
Hassall Family Papers https://collection.sl.nsw.gov.au/record/1Jk404VY This collection contains correspondence, diaries, ledgers, and letter books produced by several generations of the Hassall family. Rowland Hassall (1768–1820) was born in Coventry, England, and was one of the first...Start Transcribing
Stella Maria Sarah Miles Franklin – known as Stella to her family and friends, and as Miles to her readers – was born on 14 October 1879. The young Miles published her best-known and much-loved work My Brilliant Career in 1901. One of the greatest insights into the life of Miles Franklin is...
Records of male convicts transported to Van Diemen's Land, 1820-1844, and female convicts, 1844-1852
In times past, having a convict in your family history was something to be ashamed of – it is ironic that now it is almost un-Australian not to have one! Apart from the usual personal details of when and where the person was born, what you find in these records are the reasons for your...
Rediscovering Indigenous Languages These First Nations language materials are being made available to assist community access the collections which were identified in the Rediscovering Indigenous languages project. The Rediscovering Indigenous Languages site features historic word lists,...Start Transcribing
- Archdeacon James Gunther papers, 1826-1878
- James Cook - A Journal of the proceedings of His Majesty's Bark Endeavour on a voyage round the world, by Lieutenant James Cook, Commander, commencing the 25th of May 1768 - 23 Oct. 1770
- Milson family further papers, 1826 - 1960
- Royal Anthropological Society of Australasia records, 1885-1914, with additional material, 1921-1926, 1991, and papers of Alan Carroll, 1886-1892
- Select specimens from nature of the birds animals &c &c of New South Wales / collected and arranged by Thomas Skottowe Esqr. ; the drawings by T.R. Browne. N.S.W.
- Sir Thomas Mitchell - Papers, 1708-1855
- William Gardner - Production and resources of the northern and western districts of New South Wales, 1854
In 1848 the Sydney Female Refuge Society was established to provide a home for women escaping from prostitution and for young unmarried girls who fell pregnant. This collection includes the digitised pages of three 'minute books' from the Society records. The refuge was established on 21...