- Spelling: Use original spelling if possible.
- Capitalisation: Modernise for readability.
- Punctuation: Add modern full stops where necessary, but don't add punctuation like commas and apostrophes.
- Printed dates: use this standard format "16 March 1916". Where there is a key date, add after e.g. "21 April 1916 - Good Friday".
- Illegible text: Indicate illegible readings in single square brackets: [Dr?]
"Autolink" will suggest subjects certain words could be linked to or you can use double braces to link subjects.
[[Jane Doe]]will link the text "Jane Doe" to the subject Jane Doe, while
[[Jane Doe|Jane]]will link the text "Jane" to the subject Jane Doe. We recommend that linking be left to an editor after the initial transcription is made.