- Spelling: Use original spelling
- Capitalization: Use existing capitalization in the text
- Punctuation: Retain original punctuation, as closely as possible
- Line Breaks: Do not record line breaks when forced by page or column width, but do indicate intentional line breaks in the original. Hit
returnonce after each line ends. Two returns indicate a new paragraph.
- Illegible text: Indicate illegible readings in single square brackets:
- A single newline indicates a line-break in the original document, and will not appear as a break in the text in some views or exports. Two newlines indicate a paragraph, and will appear as a paragraph break in all views.
"Autolink" will suggest subjects certain words could be linked to or you can use double braces to link subjects.
[[Jane Doe]]will link the text "Jane Doe" to the subject Jane Doe, while
[[Jane Doe|Jane]]will link the text "Jane" to the subject Jane Doe. We recommend that linking be left to an editor after the initial transcription is made.