Once you sign up for an account, a new Transcribe tab will appear above each page.
You can create or edit transcriptions by modifying the text entry field and saving. Each modification is stored as a separate version of the page, so that it should be easy to revert to older versions if necessary.
Detailed, illustrated instructionscan be found HERE
- SPELLING: Use original spelling if possible.
- PUNCTUATION: Add modern periods, but don't add punctuation like commas and apostrophes.
- LINE BREAKS: Hit
returnonce after each line ends. Two returns indicate a new paragraph, which is usually indentation following the preceding sentence in the original. The times at the end of each entry should get their own paragraph, since the software does not support indentation in the transcriptions.
- ILLEGIBLE TEXT: Indicate illegible readings in single square brackets:
- HYPHENS: Do not transcribe hyphens that occur at line breaks. Complete the word on the first line and then add line break.
- FORMATTED TEXT: Do not try to replicate the formatting of tables, charts, or other structured text. Instead, make use of spaces, punctuation and/or added text in square brackets to clearly represent the content.
- CROSSED-OUT TEXT: Do not transcribe crossed-out text
- SAVE! SAVE! SAVE!: Do not forget to click
Save Changeswhen done transcribing page.
NOTE: Please try to avoid saving partially transcribed pages. If you must, then please click the
Needs Review button before saving.