Mark Hopkins

ReadAboutContentsVersionsHelp
Untitled Page 16

Untitled Page 16

down and gave Carrs obligation for $12500 more in thirty days or forfeit the $10000. M.L. has straightened other matters some of which he would or could very well have done except upon the assumption that if he complied with our terms the trade was definite and certain. We are in honor bound to stand by the trade and I certaintly cannot do otherwise than make the trade good to [?] and shall in any event as far as in my power individually. But I do not doubt but that Huntington will approve the trade, in which case we shall certainly have a good thing and I shall be relieved from embarrassment.

If the trade is perfected we shall do as you suggest have a schedule of Assets.

Yours truly Leland Stanford

From

Leland Stanford,

April 12. 1867.

Surprise that I object to purchase WPRR.

Dont doubt Huntingtons willingness.

My objection is embarrassing &c.

Last edit 25 days ago by hannahb25
Untitled Page 17

Untitled Page 17

27

Office Central Pacific Railroad,

Corner Front and California Streets.

San Francisco, April 16th 1867

Mark Hopkins Esq

Your letters of hte 13th & 15th inst recd. I fear the drilling machines will prove useless. There does not appear a will that they should succeed. And usually where there is no will there is no way

We have a good letter from Mills & Ralston. Also one from Barron & Co and Parrott is preparing one. I expect one from the Agents of the Rostchchilds to their Head House.

I have seen Latham & Emmet they are delighted over their trip, they went to the Summit and into the Tunnel. We are waiting patiently or trying to do so for a dispatch from Huntington. It seems to me from what H has said at different times that there cannot be much question but that he will approve.

Yours truly Leland Stanford

Last edit 25 days ago by hannahb25
Untitled Page 18

Untitled Page 18

From

Leland Stanford

April 16. 1867

Fear drilling machines will not work.

Got good letters from Mills & Ralston Baron & Latham & Emmet delighted with excursion.

Waiting to hear from Huntington.

Thinks Huntington's former letters speak approved &

Last edit 22 days ago by hannahb25
Untitled Page 19

Untitled Page 19

29

San Francisco April 19th 1867

Mark Hopkins Esq

Yours of the 17th recd this morning. We are waiting for answer from Huntington with such patience as we can command. If he fully understands that we get 20 miles completed road rolling stock worth about 50,000 with no incumbrance but govt bonds and that we get other value for our money, besides the advantages of govt aid to build a road to San Francisco I do not think he can hesitate to say yes. As to the matter of advances of money immediately it could be raised on the rolling stock piled up here and for which there is no immediate use. And that too without interfering with our sources of loans for the C.P.

I am the more impatient because McLaughlins cousin does not like the trade and would gladly break it up. I have to take up $60,000 on the 22d but I have got it arranged to satisfaction by new loan

Yours truly

Leland Stanford

Last edit 22 days ago by hannahb25
Untitled Page 20

Untitled Page 20

From.

Leland Stanford.

April 19. 1867.

Impatiently waiting for Huntingtons reply.

Thinks he cannot hesitate to approve purchase.

Fears McLaughlin will back out if we delay.

Has made loan for $60.000.

Last edit 22 days ago by hannahb25
Records 16 – 20 of 26