Mark Hopkins

ReadAboutContentsHelp
railroad situation in Utah, contract with Brigham Young and Mormons 1868 June 9; introducing T. G. McLaren, well- borer 1868 Aug 6; contracts for grading west from Monument (telegram) 1868 Aug 28; Union Pacific getting Chinese laboreres 1868 Oct 21; arrival at Salt Lake (telegram) 1868 Oct 31; wants scraper force organized and barley sent to Humboldt Wells 1868 Nov 1; send message to Phelps to come to Salt Lake (with note from Crocker that it was done) 1868 Nov 3; re Presidential vote 1868 Nov 3; on progress of U. P. line 1868 Nov 8; on Stanhouse, Durant, grading, and ties 1868 Nov 9; 400 teams grading west of 100 mile contract (telegram) 1868 Nov 21; French Loan Soc. can wait; grading contracts; line on Promontory Mts; progress of U. P. 1868 Nov 21; are supplies at Humboldt Wells? (telegram) 1868 Nov 29



Pages That Need Transcription

Untitled Page 31
Needs Review

Untitled Page 31

4.

From, Leland Stanford. Salt Lake. Nov. 21. Recd. Dec 2d 1868 Grading [lit.?] to Ogden City. Cant take possession of tunnel or Cannon. Changing line at Promontory mountain. Thinks Union Co cant get through till spring. But write so far is favorable to them.

No. 4

Recd. Dec. 2d. 1868. answered

Salt Lake Nov 21st 1868

Friend Mark

Your letters Nos 7, 8, 9, 10 I found here on my return from the Promontry, I shall hardly be able in this letter to answer them in detail, in time for the mail.

The French Loan Society can wait for their money. They only want it to loan again.

When I saw them last and told them we did not wish to take up our note I told them we would give them 30 days notice when we wanted to pay. They were pleased to have the loan continued. I would not be inconvenienced in order to pay them.

I have let the work from (Weber) Ogden west to Monument to our old contractors Bendra Farr & West. Brigham Young has 1/4 interest in the profits. Mr Gray and I spent part of two days on the

Last edit 3 months ago by Emmy
Untitled Page 32
Complete

Untitled Page 32

Promontory Mts. I was so little satisfied with our line that I directed Bates to try a new one. The old line would detain us until we could make a tunnel of 800 feet through solid limestone. I was much disappointed. I had directed a party of graders to be sent out there so that we could take possession of the important points. They were within a few hours of there when we left. The U.P. have sent orders for their men to come off the work at Humboldt Wells and work on the Promontory.

I am trying to arrange to have Joseph Young go on to the Promontory. If he does he will build track where we say. I have several letters from Huntington each referring to taking possession of line to Echo Summit. If I am to do that at this time there must be a formal order of the board of directors, directing it.

The end of our track is now not

Last edit 3 months ago by Emmy
Untitled Page 33
Complete

Untitled Page 33

less than 300 miles from Ogden. Now how can we justify ourselves and what good can come to us in going 60 miles beyond the pt the Act of Congress permits, and within 40 miles of the track of the UP. They having the grading substantially done from Mouth of Weber to their track and that too for most of the way as near to our line (Ives preliminary) as we could build ourselves. Are they to be confined exactly to the line laid down on our maps. If so I am afraid we are liable to be complained of. I notice our constructed line to Gravelly Ind is 8 miles longer than the preliminary & approved line.

The U Pacific are making desperate efforts to get into Echo before the winter storms and cold shall shut them out. I dont think they will get through to mouth of Weber before next spring. They have as I am informed nine bridges 30 to 100 feet spans to build and a tresselling of about 1000 feet, twenty to thirty feet length east of Echo Summit

Last edit 3 months ago by Emmy
Untitled Page 34
Complete

Untitled Page 34

they cross the Weber eight times.

Even though they do have the timber all framed at Chicago, there will be some time taken up by these bridges and tressel. The timber is not yet on the Ground. An ordinary winter I am confident will close them out of track west of Ogden before next spring.

But the fall is unusually mild and is of great help to the U.P.

I telegraphed you that four hundred teams were expected to be on the work between the 100 mile contract & Humboldt Wells. It is possible there may not be two hundred.

About 200 teams that ought to have passed here on their way to the work have not yet made their apperance.

Of those that have gone they generally took about (30) thirty days supplies each. What we want in the way of supplies is sufficient to guard against want.

I will try and write a more careful letter next time. But you understand me well enough to make out my points.

I would pay up the C & F Co. If we have to give drafts our RR Co ought not to be indebted much to that Co.

Yours truly L Stanford

Last edit about 2 years ago by hannahb25
Untitled Page 35
Complete

Untitled Page 35

Salt Lake Nov 21 1868

Received at Sac Nov 21 11.53 A.M.

To Mark Hopkins.

Returned from promontory last night find several letters here from you about four hundred 400 teams engaged for work west one hundred 100 mile contract at what time will those supplies reach Humboltd Wells.

Leland Stanford

Last edit about 2 years ago by hannahb25
Displaying Page 31 - 35 of 36 in total