estimates to meet out necessities
in the publishing line. I could see my
way clearer could I go with our first
venture - being a successful venture,
in hand. As it is I see our course to be
confined to one of the following:-
1. to await the good pleasure of the Smithsonian
the objection to this is delay - and in delay
is danger from people who "jump up behind"
into one's saddle.
2. to present our memoir to the Anthrop. So. London
But here I should object to submit our essay
to their good pleasure; it would seem
like hawking out wares about; and I
do not suppose they would buy a pig in a poke
nest - Lubbock is the president and it
would be bearding the lion in his den
-but this I should rather like than otherwise
if the memoir were only accepted and
published. I fear we should count upon
his opposition.
3. To publish through the Royal Society here
I have written to Ellery sounding him
on the subject. But in this case the
cost of publishing might be beyond
their funds.
4. To publish ourselves. In this case
we could appear at once and
Robertson could push our
venture in the publishing world
here and at home.

Notes and Questions

Nobody has written a note for this page yet

Please sign in to write a note for this page