p. 125




Status: Needs Review

We remained until about noon at the kraal. After the beer drinking and the Chief taking a second and liberal portion, his tongue was limbered as is the habit with beer of all lands and he confided in the interpreter that he was about to be married. It would be the fifth time but alas one had died so he would have only four! He hoped to take anoth er next year. A new hut was being constructed and it was for the new wife. we bought some necklaces from women in the Kraal who took them off their necks. We then distributed sixpences and tikkies (as the three cent piece is called) to the children who suddenly increased in numbers at an astonishing rate and left us quite bankrupt. We retraced our journey over the hot hills and at the station turned off into a beautiful garden filled with a wonderful variety of strange trees,and plants. It was a mass of rich color for most of them were in the spring blossoming. Acacias of endless variety were in blossom azalias in great trees were as thickly covered with blossoms as the little ones forced in the hot houses which we get at Christmas time. Here was located a Girs High School and the principal Mrs Colepepper had invited us to lunch. It was a private and successful school. In the garden we saw our first pawpaw tree. Later I became most enthusiastec [enthusiastic] over this fruit - a sort of old fashioned muskmelon which grows on a tree. It is too perishable to export. It is eaten with lemon juice and sugar and has a delicate flavor all its own. I should add that its particular home is Durban where the hotel treats us to them three times a day. We arrived home late in the afternoon desperately tired and rested as best we could before dressing in our best for the reception that evening. Here I made a speech and was bored as I always am at such affrirs [affairs]. In this case I had the opportunity of boring others.
On Thursday morning we sallied forth at an early hour after photographs and I bought two dozen. We then went to Lady Mackenzies for morning tea. We found her with her hat on, as that fool notion has reached S.A. Later we visited the Museum. Miss Cameron lunched with Lady Steel who has married and come to S.A. but I dared not do so much, and rested at the hotel. At four there was a tea out of town about a mile. The lady, Mrs. Davis, the wife of a publisher, sent her carriage for me and sent me home. She had a beautiful big home and the drawing room was of elegant size with a platform at one end. I never saw a room anywhere which I envied more. In the evening we had our public meeting.
We left Maritsburg early the next morning arriving in Durbanabout one o'clock. The usual committee met us. Never did they fail to do this and to see us off. We went at once to our hotel where for 15 shillings inclusive we had most delightful rooms facing the sea. This was Friday Oct. 13th. After lunch and a little cleaning up we went to a meeting of the Club (suffrage) When that was over the president Mrs. Ayers took me to a shop where she reccommended a dressmaker. She was willong [willing] to do the work but the material must be purchased in the shop, so I arranged to have two simple frocks of muslin made. I had to do some skirmishing about to collect all my baggage. I had forwarded all of my trunks except the wardrobe from Cape Town and our chairs came on too. I has sent a case of books by the boat I came on and another case of books from Pt. Elizabeth. A hat box came on from Pretoria. My thinnest summer things were in these trunks. The evening was spent in unpacking such as I had received. On Saturday I went to see another dressmaker in order to get the material made which I had bought in Johannesburg. I succeeded and left the muslin for two more dresses. We met the ladies of the suffrage club for morning tea at a restaurantand it was a curious sight to see crowds of men and women gathered at this hour for their precious cup. Then we went shopping, getting back to the hotel at I [1?] for lunch. I unpacked further in the afternoon and Mrs. Ayers and Mrs Behr took tea with me at four and I was occupied withh callers until dinner. It was good to get to bed early. On Sunday I worked more with my things and went with Miss Cameron to Mrs Kerr Cross for tea at four. She received us out of doors. We found Dr. Jacobs, Mrs. Boessma and some delegates had arrived at the hotel. Again I went to bed early, but first I trimmed a new hat I had bought.
On Monday the convention began and I was present every minute to advise when necessary. We met from eleven to one and from 2.30 to 5. In the evening was the

Notes and Questions

Nobody has written a note for this page yet

Please sign in to write a note for this page