III In defernce to the good of the moral universe ~ ~ 1 Without repentance – Pardon w'd [would] be a pos. [possible] injury to the universe – by encouraging rebellion & disobed. [disobedience]. Shows holiness – & freedom from sin as not nec. [necessary] to secure the blessings of God – That obed. [obedience] was no more favored than dis-obed. [disobedience] – at least was treated no better. Tendancy of course to make more sin than ever.
2 Any action would not tend
Without it his good we might accom- to mitigate the evil & rage of Sin ~ -plish for t. [the] Un. Universe – w'd [would] not be secured. The object of t. [the] rem. syst. [system] in this re-spect would not be gained – Disregarded to check sin –. To prevent the con-tagion of it on pure minds – and to soften – subdue – eradicate it from those guilty of it – thus to remove it as much as poss. [possible] to G. [God] from t. [the] world.
3. Without our contrib. [contribution] to Un. [Universe] c'd [could] not be secured. Sh'd [Should] be unprepared to do any good – all w'd [would] be evil Still from us – our assigned part wd [would] go forever undone – we sh'd [should] have lived burdens & pests to the Universe – destroying more than we built.
IV. In deference to our own highest blessedness, now & ever. 1. Nought else fills our sense of fitness To see pardon – even while man in very act of rebellion – outrages our sense of justice & property. There is beauty & fitness in all things. Especially in the affairs of mor [moral] gov't [government] & mor [moral] relations.
We know we are not fit to be pardoned till we repent – it would surprise us to know that we were – if right-minded ~
2. Nothing else can stop our suffering t. [the] nat. [natural] conseq's [consequences] of sin – –
Till we renounce it – must bear its miseries & its curse – agony & remorse – reproach – abusement – unrest – discontent – &c, &c. [etc., etc.] –
Must feel ourselves – guilty – wicked – with no claim on goodness or love ~
Ravages go on in us ~ –
3. Of course – Pardon no blessing to us comparatively –
All motive is taken away to just. [justify] obed. [obedience] – Char. [Character] of God is gone – license to sin is given – with legal impunity – Every influence tends to keep us from becoming holy – i.e. from being happy – without repentance no lasting hap. [happiness] – now – none in the future. All is dismay.
Remarks. [centered] ~ 1. Learn who it is that must yield in this matter.
The obstacle is in ourselves – in our wrong characters – till we renounce sin – It is not poss [possible] – for G. [God] – consist. [consistent] – to confer forgiveness on us – we must comply ~
2. See that without repen-tance it is imposs. [impossible] for us to accomplish our bright end & aim. Made to be happy by being holy – & in nothing else – – ; & we cant [can't] be wholly so without holiness = must repent then.
3. If we fail to secure the blessing offered in the gospel it will be wholly our own fault. – Nothing but our perverse wills & wicked hearts are now in the way. The other obstacle is removed ~
Repent now – escape – Save yourselves – hap. [happiness], life – to be – friends – world –
heaven C. [Christ] heaven God – all summon you to repen-tance – to a new life – to a heavenly blessed submission to God.